What Is A Cat Food Comprised Of
When one owns a pet at home they need to know what kind of food they can feed them. Many people are unaware of how they should take care of their pet and they simply give them cooked food at home, the same food that they themselves consume. While they might think that they are doing the best for their pet, that may not be the case. The reason being, a cat or a kitten which is kept as a pet in our home, is an absolute carnivore while we are omnivores. The kind of food we eat and the food that is ideal for them is different. Thus, one needs to be educated and informed about how to keep a cat and the food is one of the best ways of ensuring the good health of one’s cat. Usually cat food does comprise of all the nutrients like carbs, protein, vitamins and minerals. But the constitution of their food differs in many ways.
Protein For Cats
Protein is required by all us as they are building blocks in our body. They make up our cells, organs and tissues. They can be planted based or animal based and both can be included in the cat food.
- Soy, cereals and vegetable are some of the common examples of plant based protein in the food for cats.
- The animal based protein sources include fish, turkey, chicken and lamb. In addition, cats also have certain byproducts of animals and plants that humans do no consume. These are included in the cat food that is manufactured and sold in retail stores.
- A cat needs two or three times more the amount of protein than human beings consume. Their bodies are adapted to metabolize protein and fats and they can gain energy from such food sources better than humans.
- Protein from animals contain amino acids like methionine, cysteine, taurine and arginine that are essential for cats as their systems do not generate them in adequate amounts.
- Cereals of different kinds
- By products of plants
These are some of the common sources of carbs in the diet of cats as may be found in cat food. However, cats are able to gain more energy from protein than they can from carbs.
Fats, Vitamins And Minerals
- Fats are metabolized in a better way by cats than humans. The animal and plant fats are included in the cat food often. You need to read the labels and refer to your vet in order to understand what kind of fats are ideal for your cat.
- Vitamins like A, B, D, E, K and minerals like calcium, prosperous and oysters are needed by cats from their diet.
Once the dietary requirements of cats are known, one will surely understand what is best for their cats. If you are buying pet food, ensure that the right ingredients are included and also check out the labels for the guarantee and adherence to industry standards.